It is safe to say, that these days there are so many concerns about staying healthy and how best to fight off illnesses. Since the immune system is your first line of defense against microorganisms entering the body, boosting it to the optimal level seems like an obvious choice.
While a strong immune system may not make you invincible, it stands to reason that a stronger immune system will make you less likely to fall ill. Below are some natural tips to boost your immune system.
6 Ways To Boost Your Immune System
- Exercise. Simply put, regular exercise is good for all of the systems in the body, including your immune system. It can help flush out toxins, can increase circulation of White Blood Cells (WBC) that are part of your defense system and can raise body temp that can help fight infection. The best part is that it doesn’t take hours of effort to be effective. Choosing to take a walk, climb the stairs instead of taking an elevator or a bike ride is something you can easily do on a regular basis.
- Nutrition. Choosing to eat a diet full of nutritious food is essential to a strong immune system, offering protection from seasonal illness such as the flu and other health problems. You can’t expect the body to be a warrior for your health without the proper fuel for energy. Fresh, fruits, vegetables, lean meats, nuts, and seeds are a part of a great variety of immune boosters to maintain such a healthy immune system. Healthy spices such as garlic, cinnamon, turmeric, and ginger also aid in your immune system health.
- Sleep. Getting enough good-quality sleep each night is absolutely necessary in order to stay healthy and function well throughout the day. Research has shown that quality sleep can bolster the T cells in your body that fight off infection.
Quality sleep achieves this by enhancing the ability of T cells to adhere to and destroy cells infected by viruses and other pathogens. While trying to fit too many things in your day may make it tempting to scrimp on sleep, in the long run, you
are only putting yourself at more health risks.
- Hygiene. We have all heard it before, WASH YOUR HANDS! Simply keeping your hands clean is one of the best and easiest ways to ward off illness. Be sure to wash your hands for 20 seconds using warm water and soap before preparing food or eating, as well as after coughing, sneezing, using the bathroom, or touching public surfaces.
- Reduce Stress. Chronic stress can have a negative impact on immunity and these days it is harder than ever to avoid stress. When we stay in a chronically stressed state, the immune system’s ability to fight off antigens is decreased, making us more susceptible to infections. Try simple things that you can do daily such as incorporating a relaxing practice like meditation, yoga, or deep breathing into your routine.
- Sunshine. During the winter months, it seems like we crave sunshine. Our immune cells are favorably affected by vitamin D levels, and the best source of natural vitamin D is natural sunlight. In fact, vitamin D deficiency is associated with increased frequency of infection as well as an autoimmune disease.
Even the healthiest of people can fall ill from time to time. By taking a few minutes daily to manage certain aspects of your health routine, such as diet, stress management, and regular chiropractic adjustments, you can help support your immune system’s defenses against bacteria, viruses, and other pathogens. It seems that everywhere you turn lately you hear of the health concerns just waiting at your door, but you are not powerless!
Xtreme Fitness and Cycling provides friendly, personal attention to its members, helping them stay fit, active and healthy. Whether you’re a beginner or a seasoned athlete, our helpful staff is trained to assist you in effectively reaching your goals. Contact us today!