With the busy pace of life these days, it can be easy to lose focus and motivation. Many times it can feel like there simply is not enough minutes in the day to fit it what needs to be done! It can be hard to tell the difference between the treadmill for exercise and the treadmill of life!
Exercising regularly has been proven to improve brain function, circulatory system, respiratory system, metabolism, as well as giving us better muscle and bone health. Exercise is critical for our physical and emotional wellbeing however, staying fit is sometimes easier said than done.
Top Tips For Staying Fit With A Busy Lifestyle
- Change your mental perspective. Instead of envisioning yourself as a lazy couch potato, envision yourself as a powerful athlete. Identify what you want and then put it in writing, be as clear and specific as possible. Keep in mind that negative self-talk and self-criticism will only further weaken your motivation.
- Set a goal. The underlying principle for success is to be specific, which simply means that if you have a specific goal in mind, your training should reflect your goal. Break down your goals, do them whether you feel like it or not, and make sure to reward yourself as you go!
- Find something you enjoy. Make a few decisions that will help you decide what you might actually enjoy. Consider some of the following questions. Do you prefer being inside or outside? Do you enjoy competition? Do you have certain conditions that may rule out certain exercises? Do you prefer to be alone or in a group? A gym setting or home setting? Listen to your inner voice when choosing the best workout for you
- Quality over quantity. When you lead a busy lifestyle, packing in exercise numerous times a week can be challenging if not impossible. Keep in mind the extra smaller movements you can add into your day to day life. These smaller changes in how you move throughout the day can go a long way to helping you to stay fit and keep you motivated. Park farther from the door and walk to your destination. Take the stairs instead of an elevator. Take a quick walk on your lunch hour.
- Schedule your workout. Schedule your workout in your calendar, arrange for daycare, and treat this time as if it were any other important appointment you have to keep. Delegate family chores to allow you a little time for exercise. Another option is to use technology like daily e-mail reminders, workout journaling websites, or apps to keep you on task.
- Get a workout buddy. Working out with a friend or fellow gym mate is a great way to keep you motivated to keep exercising. You will get a great workout AND have someone that will help you stay motivated and accountable!
- Have a great support system. Having a strong network of support is indispensable for your emotional, mental and physical health. When you have adequate support, you are better at handling stress and overcoming setbacks. Take the time to meet up with a friend or visit your family, staying connected will help you stay mentally strong and healthy.
Keeping up a healthy lifestyle without running yourself into the ground is a difficult task, to say the least. Exercise is important for our physical and emotional wellbeing. With that said, staying fit is often easier said than done, especially with our increasingly busy lifestyles!
Remember that nothing worth fighting for is easy. And with the help from the tips discussed you can do it!